Tuesday, March 4, 2014

52 Ancestors-Week 8 - Margaret "Sister Donata" McFadden

This post is part of Amy Johnson Crow's 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks challenge.  The object is to write something about 1 ancestor each week.  More information can be  found at her blog No Story Too Small.


Margaret "Sister Donata" McFadden- She was the sister of my maternal grandmother.
Born: 18 August 1894-Roscoe PA
Died: 14 November 1953-Scranton Pennsylvania

She was a nun with the Immaculate Heart of Mary in Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Sister Donata with two unknown people
She is listed on IHM deceased sisters page.  

Here is her Find A Grave   memorial page.


On back:
Mom,
This was taken just for you.
"Three Pittsburghers"
"Me" Aunt Kate Marie Dolora (Ann Legnard)
May 1940

Margaret is on the left.  Aunt Kate may be in the middle.  I don't know if she is an actual aunt or if it is a term on endearment.   Maria Dolora may be the "sister" name for Ann Legnard on the right.

I don't have a lot of information on Aunt Margaret yet.  I did contact her order and they did not have any additional information. 

My next step is to contact the diocese and then any local repositories that may have such records.

Update:  After posting this I went back through my emails and found this from the IHM.

"I know she was stationed in Poughkeepsie, NY for a time.
 
We had a fire at the Motherhouse in 1971 and unfortunately many records were destroyed."
 
So far, all the records I have found regarding Aunt Margaret had her living in Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania.  Hopefully, NY may have some records about her that survived.

No comments:

Post a Comment