Wednesday, April 6, 2011

SAR

For work last week, I visited the local Sons of the American Revolution (http://www.sar.org/) to give a brief talk on the library, highlight our services and to get word out that we are here.  It was an enjoyable meeting and there were a lot of very knowledgeable people there.

I mentioned that I had some cousins that were in DAR (http://www.dar.org/) on my fathers side but if I joined I'd like to do it with a possible soldier on my mothers side since as far as I know, no one has done it with that line.  They encouraged me to go ahead and join with what I had and then I could work on any others later.  They also said they were trying to increase their membership and wanted to attract more young members.  It is increasingly rare that I can go to such an event and still be included under the label young.

So even though I'm not much of a 'joiner' I went ahead and submitted the information that I have.  I do think it would be good to join this and other such groups in order to network, especially since I am currently taking the NGS-HSC and hoping to get certified in the not too distant future.

2 comments:

  1. Daniel,

    I am a member of El Toyon Chapter NSDAR here in Stockton. Truth be told I think that I originally submitted my application was for validation of my skills as a genealogist. Once my application was approved and I attended a few meetings I am so glad I joined, whatever the reason was. I love being a member of DAR! I hope that you enjoy SAR as much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reply Sheri. After visiting the group and hearing your experienced, I am much more interested in joining than I was. I hope to get as much out of it as you do of DAR.

    ReplyDelete