Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Fearless Females Blog Post: March 20: Elusive or Brick Wall Ancestor

I have posted about my paternal great grandmother Sealy Elizabeth AUTREY Sample before.  So far, she just seems to have appeared out of no where and married my great grandfather Joseph H. Sample.  I have put together a timeline (which was an idea I got from a webinar by Marian of Marian's Roots & Rambles) to organize what I have and to plan for a future research trip to Arkansas and Louisiana where I can hopefully either prove or disprove what we believe about her.

9 Mar 1860 is the birthdate listed on her headstone in Lee Cemetery, Saline County, Arkansas. 
     Birthplace is unknown-census records list it as Union Parish, Louisiana.
1860 US Census-Union Parish, Louisiana.  This is the family which we think was Sealy's.  It's the
     household of:
          Jno Autry (born in Alabama) head
          Dianacy  (born in Mississippi) wife
          M. F. -7 daughter
          Jane P. -6 daughter
          Thos. M. -4 son
           E.P. -2 son
           C.E.-3 months daughter

1870 US Census-Union Parish, Louisiana- the household has a 10 year old daughter named Elizabeth.

7 Jul 1878- Lincoln Parish, Louisiana-marriage certificate for Sealy E. Autrey and J.H. Sample
1880 US Census-both are living in 6 Ward, Lincoln Parish, Louisiana.
      Household:
          Joseph H. Sample 31
          Clie E.  20
          Mary E. 5
          Lucinda 4
          Dora C. 7m
          Jesse 23 (servant)

1900 US Census-family now in Benton, Saline County, Arkansas
          J.H Sample 51
          Celia 40
           Katie 21
           Susie 19
           Palvin 15
           Lillian 13
           Minnie 11
           Joe 5
           Paralee 2

15 Jul 1907 Benton, Saline County, Arkansas death date inscribed on headstone.

My plan is to visit Union Parish, Louisiana and Saline County, Arkansas and try to find legal, property or other type records that may shed some light or indicate if this is the right trail.         

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to have found your site. I am also related to the Samples and Autreys through my grandmother, Christine (Sample) Sims, who was the daughter of John Parvin Sample. Good luck in your quest. I will be following you! - Lori D. (Sims) Green

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by. Don't know how I missed this reply. But feel free to contact me if you want to swap info.

    ReplyDelete