Thursday, March 10, 2011

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History #10 Disasters

Week 10: Disasters. Did you experience any natural disasters in your lifetime? Tell us about them. If not, then discuss these events that happened to parents, grandparents or others in your family.

I haven't really lived through any major disasters and I am not aware of any that my parents or grandparents went through either.
 
The closest I came was Hurricane Allen which hit Corpus Christi in 1980. 
 
(picture from Wikipedia)
 
We were on a family vacation at Padre Island and recall hearing news reports about the approaching Hurricane.  The day we left, I recall seeing dark clouds way out on the horizon. 
 
The next close call was when Hurricane Rita was approaching the Galveston/Houston area in 2005.  I was far enough inland that I didn't feel I needed to evacuate, but my parents were a bit concerned so I hopped in the car and joined the mad rush out of Dodge.  In hindsight, I could have stayed home and had a mini b-movie fest.

No comments:

Post a Comment