Thursday, December 22, 2016

Manus Ferry (abt 1834-1883)

Manus Ferry was the husband of my great grandfather's sister Margaret McFadden (abt 1842-1905). I have not found much about him but today I received his death record from the Diocese of Steubenville, Ohio. 

 The final entry on this image concerns Manas (sic). There are Italian terms so I used a list of common Italian words to try to figure out what it said.

12 Julio    Manas (?) Ferry (?) sepolture  est (?) (?) Wellston, 58 annos (?) (?) (?) Co. Donegal.
12 July     Manas (?) Ferry was buried (?) (?) Wellston (Ohio). 58 years (?) (?) (?) County Donegal (Ireland)

It looks like it mentions a village or town before County Donegal where Manas was born, but after looking at maps and searching online, I have not found anything to what is written above. 

While this does give me a more specific date range to search for other death records, such as an obituary or notice in the local newspaper, it brings up several more questions.  

Manas is listed as being buried at St. Mary's Cemetery in Pine Grove, Ohio though it has his age as 52 instead of 58. Wellston which is listed in the death record is about an hour away from Pine Grove. I'm guessing he died in Wellston but for some reason was buried in Pine Grove. If I can figure out some of those other words are, perhaps it will clear things up a little.


 St. Mary's Cemetery

Transcribed by
Kristy.


A
B
C
D
E
1
LAST NAME
FIRST NAME
BORN
DIED
OTHER COMMENTS






126
FERRY
Manis

7-11-1883
aged 52y

http://theusgenweb.org/oh/lawrence/mary.html
 

My next task is to locate a newspaper from the Pine Grove area of Ohio and hopefully find an obituary. 


No comments:

Post a Comment