Tuesday, February 8, 2011

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History: Week 6

Week 6: Radio and Television. What was your favorite radio or television show from your childhood? What was the program about and who was in it?

TV: 
Doctor Who-I grew up with the Tom Baker Doctor on PBS.  Then for the longest time, I lost track of him only to be re-introduced in 2005.  Since then, I've been going back and catching up on all the Doctors that I've missed over the years.  I even managed to get my granddaughter interested in it.  She was about 2 when I was watching some early black and white episodes.  One time when she was at home, her parents were watching a black & white movie and she asked, "Doctor Who?"  I realized my work was done.

Star Trek- The original show. I began watching it because I thought Spock was cool and wanted to be him.  Later on, I realized green aliens were hot and wanted to be Captain Kirk.

B-movies- On weekends and afternoons I spent time watching many low budget movies that were often shown on UHF stations from The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms to Christopher Lee Dracula  to giant mutated insect movies and the like.  To this day, I'd rather watch an old B movie than many of the newer/current releases.  Unfortunately, I never saw a local horror host show while I was growing up in the DFW area.  I don't know if the market didn't have any or if I just somehow missed it as a kid. 

Radio:

The main show that impacted me was Doctor Demento- He always had good song paradies which many times I preferred over the actual songs they were spoofing.  I remember listening to it late at night on Sunday, probably around 10:00, and my parents fussing at me about going to bed because it was a school night. It was a happy day when I picked up a white single earphone cord so I could quietly listen to Weird Al Yankovic's newest tune.

3 comments:

  1. Dr. Who, Star Trek, B movies - excellent taste! And musical humor as well - my version of that was WCRB Saturday night in the Boston area (though I'm a Texan).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Greta. As they say, when it comes to geekiness, I'm the cats meow.

    ReplyDelete