Friday, February 25, 2011

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Technology

Week 8: Technology. What are some of the technological advances that happened during your childhood? What types of technology to you enjoy using today, and which do you avoid?



Technology has changed quite a bit in my life time.  Some of the major things I recall include:


8 Track tapes.  My first real albums were 8 tracks, though it didn't take to long for cassettes to replace them.


My parents were never the types to buy the newest item, whatever it was.  The one exception was when my father came home with the video game Pong.  When we got it, it was the coolest thing ever.  Later on, when the coolness wore off and our friends were getting Atari's and intellevision's, my parents never upgraded no matter how much we pleaded and whined.  Of course, that may be why I have very little interest in gaming these days.  I think have the personality to have been a serious gamer, but frankly, I'm nerdy enough as it is.


When I attended college far enough away from my parents so I couldn't easily use my dad's typewriter, I bought a word processor.

I had that machine for years until I graduated with a history degree with no clue as to what I wanted to do.  As I worked a few retail jobs and looked into  various options, I bought my first computer, an Apple Mac.  

After that, I had a series of PC's until last month I finally went back to Apple and bought a MacBook.


As for something I avoided, I really can't think of anything.  It did take a while for me to get a cell phone, but now that I have one, I don't think I could go back to a landline.

No comments:

Post a Comment