Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Ireland Trip - Day 8


The official research part of my trip was finished but I definitely wasn't ready to return home yet.

I returned to Dublin airport to pick up my rental car and drive to Falcarragh, County Donegal. It was about a 4 hour drive and as I got closer the roads got narrower. I later learned that the GPS directed me to the back roads rather than the main roads.



I stayed at the Loft B&B which is attached to the Loft Pub. It was a quiet street and the pub closes at 11 so it was a great place to stay.






I checked in then went out and walked around town. It was a small, quiet place, quite a change from Dublin.  

After a while, I returned to the pub, got some dinner and a Guinness or two. Everyone I met was very nice and when they inquired about my trip I said that I was doing family history research and mentioned the names I was looking for. Everyone replied, "yeah, there are a bunch of them around."

Unfortunately none of them said, "hey, you need to meet John down the road," then called, which would spur him to come on over to the Loft pub and he'd fill in all my Irish brick walls. So instead I had another Guinness then went back to my room to plan what I was going to do for the next few days.


No comments:

Post a Comment