Wednesday, January 19, 2011

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Cars

Cars. What was your first car? Describe the make, model and color, but also any memories you have of the vehicle. You can also expand on this topic and describe the car(s) your parents drove and any childhood memories attached to it.
This is an especially appropriate topic as I just bought a new (to me) car yesterday.


I have never been a big car person and would be happy depending on my bicycle, legs and public transportation. Unfortunately, in Texas, you pretty much have to have one.

My first car was a 1979 white 4 door Mercury Zephyr. Around 1983 it was decided that my grandfather was not really able to drive any longer, so since my older brother had a car and I just received my license the car went to me. I do not recall and was never told how my grandfather reacted to this but I think it went fairly smoothly. While I enjoyed having it and being able to go where I wanted to without relying on others, I felt a little bad that my grandparents were now in the position of having to rely on others.

Whenever I would visit my grandparents, my grandmother would always ask how the car was doing. My grandfather by that point was losing his battle with alzheimers and never mentioned it.

I had the car for the rest of high school and it served me well. Since I was a little older than my classmates, I was the car guy until others started getting theirs. I then learned that I definitely prefer being the passenger and not the one with the keys. Since the car was a 4 door with bench seats, I could always fit more people in mine than most of my friends who had trucks, hatchbacks or sports cars. Every car I have had since then has been small so I rarely end up having to be the driver.

I believe it was just after graduation, before I figured out what to do next that the car started having problems. When I decided to go to Lubbock for school, a good 7-8 hour drive, we traded it in for a newer, more reliable car.

A more positive memory I have is of my parents blue station wagon that they had for more than 10 years during the 70s and 80s. Don't remember the make, but it was the car that I saw my only drive-in movie in. It was probably my 10th birthday and my parents asked me what I wanted to do. I wanted to see Godzilla Vs. Megalon at the drive-in. My father tried to talk me out of it, but I wouldn't budge. They gave in and we went. I recall my father pulling into the spot backwards so we could open the back door and us kids sat there watching the movie. My parents sat in the front seat and I have no memory of what they did other than bring us drinks and popcorn shortly after the movie started. I'm guessing that just sat there and dozed while we saw the epic masterpiece.

Shortly after that the theater began showing X-rated movies then eventually closed down.

No comments:

Post a Comment