Thursday, January 27, 2011

Home: 52 Years of Personal Genealogy and History - Week 4.

This is the fourth challenge in a weekly series from GeneaBloggers called 52 weeks of personal genealogy and  history, suggested  by Amy Coffin,  that invite genealogists to record memories and insights about their own lives for future descendants.  Week 4 - Home   

The first house I remember was in the Hallmark neighborhood of Fort Worth, Texas.  It was a 4 bedroom house and we lived there pretty much from the time we started school until we all moved out.  My parents finally sold the place about 15 years ago because the neighborhood started going down hill.  I was in Fort Worth visiting my parents over Thanksgiving and was going to Home Depot with my mom.  It was near the old neighborhood, so we drove by the house. 

The yard was mostly dirt and dead grass and mom remarked on how hard dad worked to keep the yard looking nice.  The windows and doors now had bars over them, but other than that the outside didn't look too different. 

This was the house where we played football in the street and rode our bikes everywhere.  The elementary school we attended was about a quarter of a mile and groups of us would walk or bike to and from  the school.  The backyard was large and we often played various sports or climbed the monkey bars or played on the swing or in the sandbox my father built.

Inside the house were 2 rooms towards the back which were my parents and eventually my sisters.  The other 2 at the front I first shared with my older brother then with the younger one.  It had long shag carpeting which we would rather lay on than sit on the furniture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment