Monday, January 31, 2011

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Week #5: Food

Week 5: Favorite Food. What was your favorite food from childhood? If it was homemade, who made it? What was in this dish, and why was it your favorite? What is your favorite dish now?


I don't recall a special meal or dish that really stood out while we were growing up.  The one food related event that does stand out is the relatively rare times we went out to eat.  My parents didn't take us out to eat very often, but when they did it felt like something very special.


My favorite place I believe was Crystals.  It was a spaghetti/pizza place and we always had a fun time there.  One room had a large screen TV and we would watch movies like The 7th Voyage of Sinbad or sports bloopers.  For our birthdays, we'd get a cake with a sparkler in it but I don't recall all the staff singing 
happy birthday.


This may be the reason I am not really a fan of going out to eat at the drop of a hat.  For me, going out to a restaurant should be something special, something out of the ordinary.  I feel if you go out too often or because you feel lazy and don't want to cook, then frankly going out loses its appeal.  


It's also why when I do go out I would rather go out to a proper restaurant than a fast food joint.  If it is a choice between fast food and staying at home with peanut butter and jelly, I will almost always choose that latter.  

1 comment:

  1. I'm inclined to agree. Many years ago I found myself temporarily without access to a kitchen, and I was forced to eat all my meals at restaurants. While I liked some better than others, restaurants in general lost their appeal. My truest longing became a good old home cooked meal.

    ReplyDelete